Friday, May 2, 2014 - 2:08pm
It's piping plover season at Del. beaches
The first piping plovers of the season have been spotted along Delaware bay and ocean beaches, according to the Department of Natural Resources.
|Photo: Del. Dept. of Nat'l Resources|
Sightings of the endangered shorebird have been reported at Fowlers Beach, Delaware Seashore State Park and Beach Plum Island Nature Preserve.
Nesting areas have already been closed off to the public at Cape Henlopen State Park.
Small endangered shorebirds have been found at the Point and Gordons Pond, where an American Oystercatcher has also been observed.
Meanwhile, a training session will be held Saturday May 17th if you are interested in joining DNREC's monitoring team.
You can find the sign-up information at Delaware1059.com.
Saturday May 17th, 11:00 a.m. until 1:00 p.m., at Biden Center, Cape Henlopen State Park.
Pre-registration is encouraged by calling 302-382-4151, but attendees will also be welcome at the door.
The park fee at the booth will be waived that day only, and only for volunteers attending the training session.
Copyright © May 26, 2016, Delaware 105.9/Delmarva Broadcasting Company. All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
| Latest News
- AUDIO: Facing investigation, IRSD board accepts district's CFO retirement request
- Fatal crash under investigation in Kent Co.
- AUDIO: Third times the charm for 'Homeless Persons' Bill of Rights'
- Prison guards accuse of smuggling drugs, phones to inmates
- DelDOT Offers Tips for Travelers Headed to the Beaches this Summer
- BirdWatch Update: piping plovers may hatch soon at Cape Henlopen State Park
- Teen faces theft, drug-related charges following pursuit, crash
- Milford man sentenced to 180 months in prison for receipt of child porn
- Judge tells Verizon unions strike violence is unacceptable
- Delaware National Guard HQ to unveil Beau Biden signs
- Police Activity Sparks Hour-Long Bay Bridge Span Closure
- 2 State Welcome Centers Reopen After 6-Year Shutdown
- Gold Alert Issued for Elderly, Missing Dover Woman
- Restaurant Employee Shot After Attempted Robbery
- 1 Driver Dead, 1 Hurt in 2-Car Collision in Greenville
- DNREC Police Remind Boaters to NOT Drink and Boat
- 3 Swimmers Rescued from Ocean at Jersey Shore
- Judge Says Dismissal of Beekeeper's Lawsuit Won't Fly
- New Jersey Considers Smoking Ban at Public Beaches, Parks
- Two Cats Killed in Rehoboth Beach House Fire
- AUDIO: Ocean City, MD Police Ready for Memorial Day Weekend
- Maryland Officials to Discuss Zika Virus Prevention
- UPDATE: Baltimore Officers Charged in Prisoner Death Sue State
- Philadelphia Airport Breached Twice in 2015, Once in 2016
- Gunman Robs Cigarette Store in Bear
- Former School of 'Dancing With the Stars' Winner Rejoices
- Antares Rocket "Hot Fire Test" Scheduled for May 31
- New Jersey lawmakers advance Atlantic City rescue package
- New Jersey lawmakers vote to ban smoking at beaches, parks